Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Clauses and Sentence Types


Clauses and Sentence Types
 
A. Combine each pair of sentences into the type of sentence indicated in parentheses. Punctuate correctly.

1. The injured man groaned. The doctor dressed his wound.  (Complex)

2. The snake was a cobra. It frightened me the most. (Simple)

3. The man asked for Harold. He called earlier. I told him Harold wasn’t home.(Your choice)

4. One section of the roof collapsed. None of the people sitting there was injured. (Compound)



B. Using the words given and other words, complete the second sentence so that it has a similar meaning to the first sentence. Do NOT change the word given. Use 2-5 words in total. Tell whether the group of words you have used to complete each sentence is a clause or a phrase.

1. The subway was flooded due to heavy rain in the city.

because           The subway was flooded ………………………………………in the city.

2. I took photos of the baby because I wanted to send them to my friends abroad.

so                     I took photos of the baby ………………………………………..to my friends abroad.

3. I hadn’t heard from Richard for years, and yesterday I received a letter from him.

whom              Yesterday I received a letter from Richard, ……………………

                        ………………from for years.

4. Despite leaving home early, we missed the beginning of the film.

although         We missed the beginning of the film ………………………………

                        ………….. early.

5. You will have to pay for the damage even if you don’t want to.

whether          You will have to pay for the damage ………………………………

                        ………..not.

6. He is taking his passport with him because he might need it.

case                 He is taking his passport with him ………………………………it.


C. Write sentences as directed.

1. A sentence without any dependent clauses

2. A compound sentence with a conjunctive adverb

3. A sentence with a noun clause as object of the preposition

4. A simple sentence with a compound subject

5. A sentence with a non-restrictive adjective clause


D. Complete the following with noun clauses; then state the function of each clause.

            1. I wonder …………………………………………………………………………

            2. ……………………. ……………………………………...is not very important.

            3. The truth is……………………………………………………………………….


E. Tell whether each group of underlined words is a phrase, a dependent clause, or an independent clause. Write your answer in the space provided.

1. The children in warm jackets jumped happily into the piles of leaves. ____________________

2. Between the house and the barn where the driveway dipped into a little hollow snow piled up. __________________

3. When the baseball season opened, three of us boys decided to skip school and go to the opening game. ________________

4. We made our plans carefully so that no one would be suspicious.









No comments:

Post a Comment